Saturday 28 June 2014

Saturday's Adventure

The problem with my boyfriend and I, is we always go on the same repetitive dates. We go see a movie, go out to eat (usually at the same places), go for a drive, go bowling- well you get the idea. Don't get me wrong either, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what we usually do, just sometimes it's nice to do something a little different.

Sometime last week as I was procrastinating studying for my exams, I thought up the idea to travel to the Blue Mountains and go "bushwalking". My boyfriend seemed up for the idea, so we packed up a picnic, layered up in the warmest clothes we could and set way for the Blue Mountains. 


At first we kind of just wandered around the top, weary about walking any of the trails (mostly because we are two of the laziest people in the world). So we did the "touristy" thing and stood at the lookouts near the information centre and admired all the beauty the mountains had to offer. I must admit, it is beautiful out there. After we had a good laugh at the tourists who had their cameras on sticks to take a selfie in front of the mountains, we decided to do the 'easy' walking trail because:

  1. it recommended 10 minutes walking either way
  2. we didn't want to walk down and then back up a thousand stairs

The Three Sisters, Blue Mountains

Blue Mountains
quick selfie mid-walk 
So on our 'quick and easy walk', we ended up taking a second trail along the way without noticing. There were so many stairs and it just never seemed to end. We eventually got to a cross-road with a sign pointing to different trails, so we took the one that would lead us to the waterfall and I'm glad we did because it was beautiful. We hopped across stepping stones in the water (to my dismay I couldn't trick my boyfriend into falling into the water). Although there was a sign recommending NOT to drink or swim in the water, my boyfriend being the curious little 5 year old he is at heart went and touched the water and for some unknown reason drank it????

the waterfall we found (my boyfriend made me have a photo in front of it). It was so peaceful and serene there I honestly didn't want to leave!
We continued our adventure by walking back the way we came, taking shortcuts thanks to my amazing navigation skills and then took a quick break. It was only about 1pm and we had been there for an hour or two walking around and admiring the beauty of the mountains, so we both decided we had plenty of time (and energy) to take another trail. We had no idea how to find any of the other walking trails so we followed the crowd and headed towards a trail named 'The Giant Staircase". We laughed at the name and how it must be some kind of exaggerated name because (and I quote both of us) "How bad can it really be?"

We very quickly learned that no, it was no something easy and the name 'The Giant Staircase' if anything was a severe underestimate of what we decided to attempt. We walked down the steepest stairs we had ever seen and it was never-ending. Neither of us wanted to give up so we soldiered on, not wanting to do anything 'half-assed'. We got to the bottom of the trail after about half an hour of climbing down stairs and we were exhausted. The worst part about this was that we still had to walk back up.

all we saw at the bottom of the 'Giant Staircase' trail
Eventually (after a lot of sugar and water) we got the energy to walk (I probably wouldn't call it walking though) back up the stairs. This took us about 40 or so minutes as we had to keep stopping to the side for the people walking down as there was only enough room for single file along most of the stairs. I'm sure everyone walking down laughed at our red faces and heavy breathing as we walked up (just like we did to other people on our way down) but no one knew what they were in for. When we finally made it to the top, we read the sign for our trail we had just (successfully??) conquered- Warning, steep decent. Strong walkers only. We both had a good laugh at that and struggled our way back to the car to eat our picnic lunch and prepare ourselves for the long drive home.

The drive was quiet as the weather turned horrible and my boyfriend fell asleep so I had to drive in silence- something I hate.

We were home, we survived the exercise and we had a wonderful adventure. Showers, food and sleep were all we wanted once we got home. It was nice to do something different and I'm looking forward to thinking up new ideas of adventures my boyfriend and I can go on together. 

Thanks for reading!
Stelle



No comments:

Post a Comment