Wednesday 22 April 2015

Sydney's Storm April 2015

Am I the only person who always automatically feels crappy when the weather is bad? No?

I don't know what it is, but when it's freezing cold, windy and raining or storming like crazy, it immediately puts me into a bad mood. A mood where I just want to curl up on the lounge and watch TV or read a book or basically just do nothing. Nothing productive anyway. 

So in the last few days, Sydney (NSW, Australia),  has just suffered the "wettest two days in over 13 years", accompanied by a pretty horrific storm. (Click the link for some extra information about the storm).

I tried to go and feed my pet bunny this morning. I was outside for no longer than 2 minutes and I was drenched head to toe. Then I felt bad that I can't move my rabbit cage (it's too big, bulky and heavy, plus it had made its groove in the ground) and I have no where for my bunny inside. She's okay though, her cage is 3 stories and the top story is all enclosed with walls and all surrounding. 
My back and front yards are flooded, along with everyone else's in the surrounding areas. 

Amongst all the debris the storm has picked up and things that have been ruined, Sydney has become a sea of broken umbrellas from all of the brave (crazy?) people that tried to brave the storm before we were all just told to stay inside and postpone all unnecessary travel. 
The esplanade at Manly. Funny to think 2 weeks ago I was standing where that boat is, doing a photoshoot for a uni
project. Picture- John Granger
The Northern Beaches and the areas in the Central Coast, Newcastle and Illawarra regions from what I heard have had the worst of the storm. Dams are overflowing with water, creeks and rivers overflowing causing flash floods on roads, trees crushing cars, beaches being ruined by extremely strong winds, water sweeping people and their belongings away. 
A house in Maitland, doesn't resemble much of a house at the moment. Picture- Adam Taylor
My heart goes out to all of the people affected by the storms and the flash flooding. It can not be easy to watch your house or car or belongings just get washed away. I hope the communities stand strong and when the time comes, when the storm has passed to rebuild what they once had. 
Manly Dam which is currently overflowing and somehow looks like a waterfall. Picture- John Grainger 
Police, ambulance, firefighters and the SES (state emergency services) should be applauded on their efforts at evacuating, rescuing (although we all wish that wasn't necessary) and keeping the community as safe as possible during the difficult times. 
The sand as taken over everything thanks to the strong winds at Curl Curl Beach. Picture- Patrick O'Hara
Let us all stand together and hope that the cities and small country towns (such as Dungog) can rebuild and move past this tragedy. 
Stretch of 'road' in Maitland. Picture- Adam Taylor
If you're interested in knowing more of what has happened the last few days in Sydney, here are some good news sources to check out what has been going on. And in light of this tragedy, people still seem to film and get photos of some pretty cool things (giant fish swimming in the street in front of a school???)


All of the images are credited and taken from this news source.

There's just some links, but just Google it and thousands of results will show up!

Thanks for reading this post,

Kristelle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment