Wednesday 19 August 2015

Brains and books

If there is one thing that I have loved since I was a young girl, it would have to be books. I genuinely don't think I would be the person I am today if it weren't for all the amazing (and not so amazing) books I have read throughout my life. 

I am probably just another cliched teenage girl when it comes to reading. Books have changed and shaped my life and I get extremely attached to the characters, so when something happens I feel every emotion they do. I have cried and laughed and felt as though I were part of the stories I was reading. 

I think everyone has a life changing book. The book(s) that made me realise that I loved reading and I have never stopped since then were the Harry Potter books. Sure I had always read books since I obviously learnt how to read and I was always ahead in the 'readers' we were given when we started school. But when I was about 8 years old, my teacher I had at school loved Harry Potter so in the afternoons she would sit us down and read us a chapter (or two) from the books. I can vividly remember how much I enjoyed listening to her read the books I wanted to know what it would feel like to read them too. For my 9th birthday my mum bought me the Harry Potter books (well only the first 4 and my aunty gave me the 5th one) and I fell in love. I would stay up until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore (which I still do when I am reading an amazing book). I remember getting the 6th book for Christmas and waiting until 2007 to get the 7th book when it came out. I had it ordered for me and I carried it around school for the whole 2 days it took me to read it (I was in 6th grade at this point). Obsessed is definitely an understatement. 

Still to this day my love affair with books continues. I am always open to people's suggestions of books that I have to read and my favourite kind of shopping to do is book shopping (even more than I love buying clothes and make up AND I love buying clothes and make up). 

The only thing I don't enjoy about reading is the fact that these days, my reading books I enjoy for fun has more so turned into me reading case study upon case study and chapter upon chapter from my university textbooks (oh the joy).

For the most part I enjoy books about teenagers and books about love/romance or "finding yourself". Those types of books always capture my attention and probably because I can relate to a lot of the characters really well. I do also enjoy reading classics, but it usually takes me a bit longer to read those. 

I absolutely adore the Harry Potter series (if you couldn't already tell), Sarah Dessen is an amazing author. The Hunger Games series= amazing. I love Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and the YouTube video of the cassette tapes to go with it honestly sends shivers down my spine. John Green books are amazing and my personal favourite of his is Looking For Alaska. I have so many 'favourites' that I can't even name them all (let alone think of them right now).

I think after all my blabbing people will surely understand that I love books and I love reading. I wish I was a better writer (I really do) and maybe that's part of the reason why I even enjoy having a blog. It's my form of expression and I think all the reading I have done in my life has helped shape that.

I will happily take any suggestions of good books to read that anyone has.

Thanks for reading,
Kristelle xxx
Instagram: @krristelley

No comments:

Post a Comment